Sadly, stone fruit season is all but over here in California, but apple season is upon us! While many Sonoma County vineyards are pressing their Gravensteins into hard cider, we are thinking up delicious ways to use Eve's favorite fruit to spice up normal, everyday dishes here in the city. I diced up 1 Honey Crisp apple and tossed it into my guacamole for Evan's birthday last night, and the party's reaction was stellar! Confusion and delight danced across friends faces as they reacted to the unexpected sweet crunch in their already beloved Guacamole. What's in this guacamole? Surprise! Apples :)
Surprise! Guacamole with Apple
Serves about 10-12
- 7 ripe avocados
- 1 crisp apple, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 5 limes, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1/2 habanero chili pepper, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, picked
- juice squeeze of 1/3 orange (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste.
- Cut avocados in half and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop avocado meat into a large bowl.
- Add all ingredients except cilantro and orange juice.
- using 2 butter knives, "chop" the mixture together, until it is nice and mixed.
- Taste for seasoning as you cross chop.
- Once you have reached desirable consistency, add the picked cilantro, stir to combine.
- Adjust for spiciness, saltiness and limeyness.
- Finish of with orange squeeze, turn into a nice looking bowl, and serve with chips.
For dessert on this lovely occasion, Alicia made an amazing refined sugar-free cake! Maybe someday soon I will get the recipe. It was delicious!