Instead of cooking, I spent last week prepping for our trip to Baja. Erik and I ended up building a sweet bike rack for the 1987 Toyota Dolphin RV which would be our home for the next month.
We were looking for a bike rack for the RV but the Thule Spare Me 963Pro did not quite fit right so we decided to make our own. We searched the internet for products or how-to's but for some reason came up short. Our friend and the owner of the RV, Will Noel of PeepSalad came up with this simple pipe design. What we ended up making was simple, streamlined and strong. We have so far driven from San Francisco to San Diego with no problems!
Here's how we did it.
- (3) 5" bolts
- (9) nuts (one for inside the RV, one for outside and one to hold the tire on)
- 6 flat washers
- (5) 12"x3/4" Steel pipes
- (2) 90 degree 3 way elbows (for bottom)
- (2) 90 degree elbos for top (not totally necessary)
- (2) 45 degree elbows (For middle)
- 2 metal straps which we drilled 3/4" holes into
- Pipe thread Sealant
- (3) stainless steel locking ties
- (3) thin metal plates which we drilled one hole in each. (we cut 1 in half to make 2, these plates need not be more than about 4"x4")
- 6' foam pipe insulator
- Power Drill
- 3/4" Drill Bit for Metal
- Flathead screwdriver
1. We took the spare tire off of the back and removed all hardware inside and out.
2. From the inside of the RV we installed 1 per hole: plate, washer and 5" bolt
3. We assembled the frame, tightening it as much as we could using the sealant at each seal.
4. We attached the assembled frame to the RV with 2 predrilled straps folded over and attached to one bolt each, respectively.
5. The 3 way elbows on the bottom rest on the iron bumper for stability, and are then strapped to the bumper using 2 of the stainless steel locking ties.
6. Reattach the tire on top of the bike rack frame and secure with nuts and washers
7. Bring the top two pipes together and connect with the last locking steel tie.
8. Wrap the top pipes in foam and you should be all set!
The materials for this rack cost under $100 and we are stoked on the result!